Friday, January 23, 2015

Los deportes en el tercer grado / Sports in Third Grade

The students' ideas are an important source of our Spanish curriculum. More often than not, I find myself deviating from a “plan” as I much prefer to build on topics that are of interest to the children. By following their lead, I aim to increase motivation for learning.

Before our Winter Break, much talk about sports was occurring in the third grade classroom. While some participate in a group or individual physical activity outside of school, other third graders simply enjoy observing a game of football, soccer, or rugby.  Discussion about individual or competitive team sports accomplishments, sports interests, and sports desires raised questions such as, “How do you say football in Spanish?”  Soon after, I found myself designing engaging experiences for the third graders to learn the Spanish vocabulary for sports activities of their interest.

After making a list of all their favorite sports related activities, flashcards were made and used in many ways to reinforce the learning; Swatter Game, Charades, Pictionary, “Gusta/No me gusta” (I like/I do not like) activities, and much more. Hands down, Charades was the most enjoyed by all. Here’s just a few of the sports mentioned. Ask your third grader what they translate to in English.

fútbol Americano
fútbol
lucha libre
baloncesto
tiro al arco
artes marciales
montar caballo
esgrima
atletismo
béisbol
disco volador
patinar en hielo
natación

correr



No comments:

Post a Comment