Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Second Grade Word Jar

We finished our read aloud on Friday.  Donavan’s Word Jar, by Monalisa DeGross, is a delightful story about a boy who collects words. He amassed enough to fill a jar and was wondering what to do, get a bigger jar maybe?  The solution turned out to be a wonderful example of serendipity.  Ask any second grader about that word and the ending of the book!

During our post-book discussion a suggestion came forth, “We could have our own Word Jar!”  This was met with much excitement and a word jar was immediately created.


Here are the first word contributions to our collection:

Abracadabra : I like the way it sounds. -Miranda
Adventure: It makes me feel happy and excited. – Sophie H.
Bongo: It reminds me of my dad. -Kaitlyn
Compromise: It’s an important 2nd grade word that was shared at Meeting for Worship. - Sandy
Combined : like the way it rolls off my tongue. -Alyson
Communicate:  I like the way it slides off my tongue. -GK
Extraterrestrial : It makes me feel grownup. -Oliver
Drums : It sounds weird. -Genevieve
Friends:  It is an important word. -Marcellus
Friendship:  It makes me feel important. -Jason
Gravity:  It makes me feel smart. -Neil
Giggles: I like the way it sounds. -Angela
Incline: It feels good in my mouth and it is good exercise if you walk up one.- Kieran
Kind: It makes me feel like a good friend. -Maura
Love:  I chose love because I love so many people. -Hayden
Metamorphosis: I learned it in 1st grade in the butterfly study and I really like learning that. -Luc
Magnificent: I like the way it sounds. -Sophie K.
Rescue: I like the way it sounds. -Matthias
Shabbat: I can write it in Hebrew. -Orli
Shadow : It is the name of my cat and I love my cat. -Sarah Lynne
Similar:  I like the way you say it. -Maggie
Super: I like the way it slips off my tongue. -Brandon
Vernacular: It’s a word about words and it sounds important. -Betsy


No comments:

Post a Comment