Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Getting Personal in Fourth Grade Writing

Memoir writing is a special kind of writing. In fourth grade, students have the opportunity to reflect on personal stories that happened in their lives and write about them. Not only does it build students' creative muscles but also their analytical skills as they go back and think about what themes they see emerging as they write their pieces.

We started by reading different examples of personal stories.
Image result for thank you mr falker
Then we brainstormed our own personal stories.

Students watched as the process of writing was modeled by teachers.


Students then began writing. They are working to incorporate details that give the reader a strong sense of the action and setting surrounding the memory.

Excerpt from on student's memoir in progress:

I was walking down the blinding white stairs. It was chilly outside and I was grateful that the church was warm. I got into the cavernous church basement of Saint Timothy’s. It was warm and welcoming. The scent of hot garlic and spices filled my nose. Oregano, basil, and thyme were cooking with the meat and onions in large pans. My grandpa was moving like lightning around the stove. I wriggled just outside the kitchen window wanting to get a peek at the lovely food. All of a sudden my grandpa’s big hands pulled me into the kitchen and sat me in front of the ordering station.

Keep on the look out for some examples of the finished works from these exceptional writers!

No comments:

Post a Comment