Friday, October 19, 2018

¡Los cinco sentidos en el jardín de infancia! / The five senses in kindergarten!

To connect with their class theme study on The Five Senses, in el Jardín de Infancia (kindergarten) the students have been learning the Spanish vocabulary for the parts of the body that receive sensory information. Games, activities, and songs were introduced that helped the students practice and reinforce the Spanish vocabulary through labeling, matching, and identification exercises. Our journey began with learning and investigating los cinco sentidos and their corresponding body parts through read alouds, conversation, observation and games.



Veo con mis ojosI see with my eyes
Huelo con mi nariz I smell with my nose
Oigo con mis oidos I hear with my ears
Saboreo con mi bocaI taste with my mouth
Toco con mis manosI touch with my hands

One fun way to reinforce the vocabulary was by playing el Juego de los Matamoscas (The Fly Swatter Game). In this game, the flashcards were placed on the floor and the object was for the students to swat the matching flashcard to the oral command. ¡Divertido! 


Another fun activity played was the Spanish version of “I spy”, Veo, veo. Each learner took a turn at saying Veo, veo (I see, I see) to which we all replied, ¿Que ves? (What do you see?). Then, the student would respond to the group by saying a color, in Spanish! ¡Veo rojo! (I see red!). The kindergarteners had the greatest fun playing Veo, veo.



But, the activity that received the most thumbs up, thus far, was the one connected with our sense of saboreo (taste). After checking in for allergies, mango juice and plantain chips were brought in and all students were encouraged to put their taste buds to work. Everyone was challenged to taste the two items. It was quite admirable to witness students take the risk and touch, smell, and/or lick the drink and chip. Then, they were invited to turn to a partner and state if they liked it or not; me gusta / no me gusta. By far, there were more me gusta than no me gusta! What a splendid challenge!





Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment