Friday, October 5, 2018

Fourth Graders Explore the Culture and Traditions of the Lenape

Fourth grade students had the opportunity to travel to Churchville Nature Center to learn through interpretive guides about the life and customs of the local indigenous Lenape people. Through interactive activities, the students experienced first hand what life was like over 500 years ago. 


pounding corn kernels
animal pelts, tools, and weapons
















They were instructed in the ways that fire was made, got to see and touch many different species of animal pelts and discovered the skills and weapons that were needed for survival. 


making fire

Students sat in a longhouse and discovered that woman owned the houses and that marriage and divorce happened in a different way than what we are accustomed to now. Students also had the opportunity to try on some clothing.



Upon our return, the students had an opportunity to reflect on their experiences and shared their thoughts. Here are just a few of their comments.


 Liam: "The fire making was really hard because you had to scrape wood or turn wood. It was a lot of work."

Hattie: "It surprised me that it was the woman's job to housekeep and own the house because unfortunately most of the world in ancient times was all 'man of the house' and didn't let women own land."

Lucas: "I liked making the rope. I enjoyed it because you can make a lot of stuff out of it."

Rudy: "If I had to give up modern life, I would miss technology and would be glad to give up global warming."

Radha:" I was surprised by the longhouses because it was more comfortable than I thought it would be."

Stella: "I was surprised by how young they got married because I thought they had a longer lifespan."

No comments:

Post a Comment