Friday, January 29, 2016

Español en el jardín de infancia: el cuerpo / Spanish in Kindergarten: The Body

When are the kindergarteners most receptive to new Spanish language learning? When they can connect it to what they already know of course! Therefore, it made great sense to link their classroom’s theme of study of the human body with their Spanish language class experience. Many games, activities and songs were introduced that helped the students practice and reinforce the Spanish vocabulary of body parts through labeling, matching, crossword and identification exercises.
Our journey began with learning and investigating los cinco sentidos, the five senses, and related body parts…

Veo con mis ojos – I see with my eyes
Huelo con mi nariz – I smell with my nose
Oigo con mis oidos – I hear with my ears
Saboreo con mi boca – I taste with my mouth
Toco con mis manos – I touch with my hands
One of the many fun games the Kindergarteners enjoyed was drawing the body part to its dictated purpose. For example, upon hearing veo con mis _____ the students drew an eye (or two) and toco con mis _____ they would draw a hand.
Singing “Head and Shoulders” in Spanish helped us learn the words for the body parts included in the song. And, to help us learn the Spanish vocabulary for other body parts, we listened (many times) to the hilarious video of Rockalingua and played various games to help us reinforce our comprehension. This song introduced us to other parts such as…
pelo - hair
cuello - neck
garganta - throat
espalda - back
barriga - belly
pierna - leg
dedos de los pies - toes
labios - lips
dientes - teeth
lengua - tongue
frente – forehead



The kindergarteners had a fabulous time learning and exploring the Spanish vocabulary for the human anatomy. Stay tuned to see where our next interest leads us.

No comments:

Post a Comment