Tuesday, March 15, 2016

4th grade Piqued by Poetry

The fourth grade students have been exploring poets and assorted different ways to be inspired to share their multi-faceted selves. We started with list poems and moved on to the George Ella Lyons poem titled,"I Am From". 



We used this poem to help us brainstorm categories that we could include in ours. Students have created wondrous poems reveling in the different minds and tempos of their soul. They've noticed nuance about people in their lives and shared what they know to be true in the world. They created found poems using words and phrases from other writers. We are in the process of editing and learning how to line our poems. The students are excited to make chap books of the poems they've been writing.


Where I'm From
By Skye Sydney

I am from the rough, brave, viscous fox running in my blood
from all over Emporia, Virginia
and from hearing lots of country talk like y'all and ain't.
I am from the rubber scrunchies in my hair
 to get my wild beautiful hair out of my way.
I am from homemade ribs that are chewy
it makes me speechless and takes forever to get down my throat.
I am from burning hot chili that the spice goes away after awhile. 
I am from my grandma spoiling me with goodies and treats that gives me lots of cavities.
I am from South America, from words that sound really silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment